Thursday, May 16, 2013

~Spinach and Kale and Chard, Oh My!~

 

We planted spinach and kale seeds early last fall. They sprouted but didn't grow much. The temps had dropped suddenly and stunted any new growth. We allowed them to winter over and at the first sign of a thaw, they shot up! Here's a pic from early April:

 
 
 
I love greens in so many ways! Soups, salads, kale chips. One of my favorite dishes is something I throw together and call, 'Beans & Greens'.
Here's what you do:
 
Gather your greens and clean them. I like to rinse and whirl them in a salad spinner.  Give them a coarse chop.
Aren't they gorgeous?
 
 
 
Grab a can of beans...any kind will do but I prefer white beans for this dish... garlic, red pepper flakes and an onion.
 
 
 
Chop the onion and saute it in a splash of olive oil over medium high heat until softened. Press a clove of garlic and add it to the pan, along with a sprinkle of pepper flakes. Stir and cook until fragrant, about a minute or two. Add the chopped greens and cook until wilted. Drain and rinse the beans, add to the pan and heat through.
 
 
 
Season with salt and pepper, eat and enjoy your greens!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment