Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pizzelles!


I've wanted a pizzelle iron for a few years now. My friend Ann turned me on to baking them when she brought over her pizzelle maker and we churned out dozens and dozens. It was fun and easy!
Much to my surprise, my son presented me with one this Christmas. Of course, I got busy right after dinner, following a recipe that was included with the iron. They turned out tasty but much too thin and crispy. I tried another recipe, for 'Southern Italian' pizzelles and it was much better. Thicker, less fragile. I prefer more of a 'dough' type batter, than a pourable one. The family loves the anise flavored ones from the store, so that's what I made. They were a hit!
On my bookshelf, I happened to find a cookbook called Waffles and Pizzelles by Donna German. A recipe for oatmeal pizzelles inspired me to create this one~
Oatmeal, Nut and Honey Breakfast Pizzelles:
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 TBL vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 TBL baking powder
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
Optional: 1 tsp. cinnamon

In a mixer bowl, beat butter, honey, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture and mix well. It should look almost like oatmeal cookie dough.

Lightly oil the iron and allow it to heat up. You'll only need to oil it once before you begin. With a cookie scoop (approx. 1 TBL size), place a scoop of dough slightly off center on the iron.

Close the lid and latch. Allow to bake for about 45 seconds. Be your own judge...if you prefer a darker, crispier pizzelle bake a little longer. Remove with a small spatula and place on a cooling rack.
You can really smell the fragrant honey when you open the lid. The nuts get toasty and the brown sugar makes them sweet and golden. Mmmm. The whole session takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and produces about 42 pizzelles. After they cool, package them up and give as gifts. IF you feel like sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment